Conductor, Youth Orchestra
Spring of 2021 until position is filled
July 1, 2021
Our Youth Orchestra Conductor is a part time position, does not include benefits, and pay is dependent on qualifications and experience. Our conductor reports directly to the Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra Association (FVSOA) Executive Director.
The primary responsibility of the Youth Orchestra Conductor is to oversee the artistic development and training of Youth Orchestra students in preparation for rehearsals and performances. The Conductor is charged with maintaining the standard of excellence through interaction, example, curricula and artistic leadership. The Conductor is an ambassador to the greater community of professional musicians, public and private school music teachers, and potential music students.
The Conductor will work with the FVSOA and FVSYO administrative staff to engage qualified coaches, sectional leaders, guest conductors, and other instructors as needed. The Conductor works with the Youth Orchestras Executive Director in planning and implementation of a recruiting program, along with maintaining close liaisons with school and private music teachers. The full staff of the FVSOA assists with recruiting, marketing, budgets, and securing funding resources.
The Conductor works closely with the other youth program conductors, youth orchestra librarian, stage manager, and administrative staff and carries out all required duties in a manner consistent with the policies, procedures, goals, and objectives established by the board of directors.
- Must be enthusiastic and able to motivate students
- Must be respectful and sensitive to student's feelings
- Must have a working knowledge of all orchestral instruments and techniques
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of classical literature and repertoire, with added emphasis on educational structure and level-appropriate choices
- Must be able to communicate instructions and directions to students in a manner they can comprehend
- Must be able to work as a team
- Must be able to make a commitment to the rehearsal, performance, audition and administrative schedule for the full season
Annual Evaluation Criteria
- Serves as the conductor of the Youth Symphony for the purpose of all preparation, rehearsals and performances by the assigned orchestra of musical literature during the period of the agreement.
- Participate in auditions for membership in the Youth Symphony evaluating the skills of all string, woodwind, brass and percussion students; and make the final determination of applicants to be accepted and their placement within the Youth Symphony, Concert Orchestra or Philharmonia ensembles. Provide seating assignments for the Youth Symphony in agreement with coaches.
- Determine the repertoire as appropriate to be played by the Youth Symphony in consultation with the coaching staff and librarian.
- Consult with the Conductors of Concert Orchestra and Philharmonia on the selection of repertoire for each concert cycle.
- Work with the FVSYO Executive Director and Conductors in coordinating activities involving the youth orchestra program to include scheduling of rehearsals, sectionals, concerts, auditions, educational activities, retreats, tours.
- Evaluate the performance of the Youth Symphony and participate in an annual review meeting of artistic goals and objectives with the FVSOA and FVSYO Executive Director and Conductors at the conclusion of each concert season.
- Assist with the recruiting program to communicate regularly with music teachers and private teachers in the Fox Valley region and work to maintain excellent relations with music instructors and professional musicians in the community.
- Adhere to the policies as set forth in the FVS Youth Orchestra Handbook and FVSO employee handbook.
- Provide clear, consistent, and timely communication about all matters pertaining to rehearsal and/or concert schedules, section personnel changes, repertoire changes, etc. to the FVSYO Executive Director.
- In a timely manner, communicate with the FVSYO Executive Director all disciplinary actions and other personnel issues, and make recommendations for correction.
- Adhere to the youth orchestra budgets as set forth by the FVSOA Executive Director. FVS shall make all necessary business arrangements for the orchestra, including music purchases, engagement of outside consultants.
- At all times while working on behalf of the FVS, the Conductor shall behave in a professional, respectful, and appropriate manner as outlined in the FVS employee handbook, including the FVS policies regarding harassment, sexual harassment and discrimination.
- The Conductor will be observed and reviewed annually by appropriate education and/or music professionals, as assigned by the FVSOA Executive Director. Performance reviews will be held annually, usually in the summer months.
Administrative Duties and Responsibilities
- Appropriate choice of repertoire
- Solid conducting technique (clarity of beat patterns, left-hand technique, show students what is expected.
- Ability to hear and correct pitch problems. Ability to tune and improve individuals and choirs of instruments.
- Advanced understanding of technicalities of all instruments - strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion and the application of knowledge to train individuals.
- Effective use of rehearsal time and good rehearsal techniques. Effective communication style to convey and engage the musicians. (Alteration of pieces over time, continuing to build on concepts over time, age appropriate directions and pedagogical concepts).
- Ability to produce a high quality concert.
- Ability to communicate needs in a timely manner to the FVS staff as appropriate in a clear and consistent manner.
- Adherence to the youth orchestra policies (such as beginning and ending rehearsals on time).
- Adherence to the FVS employee policies as stated in the FVS employee Handbook.
- Attendance at all regularly scheduled rehearsals, concerts, and meetings. Scheduled absences are permitted, and an appropriate guest conductor will be assigned in coordination with the Youth Orchestra Conductor and the FVSOA Executive Director.
- Ability to communicate to and foster youth orchestra parents and student relationships.
- General deportment as a representative of the Fox Valley Symphony in the community.
- Ability to recruit new youth orchestra students.
For questions or more information please fill out our Contact Form.