Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra Music Director
- Job Announcement PDF
We are looking for a Music Director with the highest artistic aspirations and seasoned professional experience. We look forward to entering our next level of growth and expanding our role as a regional artistic and educational resource and performing arts institution. Our focus is community relevance and artistic vibrancy to foster the sustainability of this orchestra.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor's Degree in Music with experience conducting a professional orchestra
- Preferred Qualification: Master's Degree in Conducting with professional experience as a Music Director
- Excellent baton technique that maintains the continuity of the overall performance of a work while evoking and controlling responses to each musical detail.
- A podium demeanor that fosters a respectful, collegial, yet serious atmosphere, enhancing the quality of music and supporting the musicians' physical and emotional well-being.
- An acute ear for orchestral intonation, balance, phrasing, and color.
- Mastery of at least one instrument and experience as a solo, chamber, or orchestral performer to ensure musical insight, understanding of, and sensitivity to the musicians' perspective.
- Thorough knowledge of core orchestral repertoire and styles, including symphony and chamber orchestras, ballet, and choral works.
Salary and benefit compensation shall be determined via formal action of the Board of Directors at the time of hire and can be discussed during the interview process.
Job Search Timeline: Posted in April of 2017
- Elicit the best efforts of the musicians and show a dedication to continuous improvement of both conductor and ensemble.
- Maintain awareness of current solo artists, contemporary repertoire, and performance practices. Should have experience working with soloists at the professional orchestra level.
- Retain a collaborative spirit and a genuine ability for incorporating the ideas and input of others throughout the organization and other arts organizations in our region.
- Plan the concert season, including but not limited to regular or subscription concerts, educational concerts, chamber orchestra concerts, ensemble activities, and special concerts.
- Select repertoire to be performed in consultation with the Executive Director. S/he will accept input from the Program Advisory Committee to determine the number and kind of rehearsals required for each performance.
- Ability to conceive, plan and implement pops programming that is inventive and engages both orchestra and audience.
- Candidate Interviews will take place during our 2017-18 Season
- Finalists will conduct season concerts with our orchestra during our 2018-19 Season
- FVSO will hire our new Music Director at the conclusion of the 2018-19 Season.
Email Information or questions to Jamie LaFreniere, Executive Director
Please submit all application materials electronically.
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in the position and qualifications.
- C.V. outlining education background and professional experience.
- Video links (from within the last two years) of conducting rehearsals and performances with professional ensembles.
- Names and contact information for at least three references
For questions or more information please fill out our Contact Form.